It's easy to make rapid progress in your music study if you make good practice a habit. Follow these hints:
- Learning is automatic. The experience of the music lesson itself makes a lasting impression on a student. If you come to your lesson with an open mind, the stage is set for dynamic learning throughout the week.
- Music is meant to be played, not worked to the bone. Don't be a perfectionist! Have fun and you'll get good results.
- "Rome wasn't built in a day." Don't expect to make big changes overnight. A good attitude, applied little by little, ensures future improvement.
- Ask for help. If you get stuck, someone at home might have the answer. You can always phone your teacher if you need to.
- Short practice sessions are best. Youngsters can accomplish a lot in a five-minute review. Depending upon the individual, older students can also benefit from several short practice periods versus one long one.
- Look over your lesson assignment soon after your lesson. Your memory will be solidified and you'll feel more confident about completing it than if you wait until the last minute.
- Organize your practice session. Make a decision on what you want to accomplish. Do the easiest things first. Only practice what you feel like doing, unless you're in the mood for a challenge.
- Guitar and Piano Practice Directions can be found in your books. Follow them step by step. Younger Voice students "practice" throughout the week every time they use their speaking or singing voices. Students will continue to make new mental connections with each practice experience.
Private Voice Lesson assignments include:
- memorizing songs,
- listening to other singers with a discerning ear,
- being nice to yourself when you review your own lesson tapes,
- use tapes for sing-along practice,
- take concise notes in your Voice Journal after each lesson, and
- review notes often.
- "Practice makes perfect!" Don't just hack away at something, repeating the same mistakes over and over. Sometimes merely sitting and thinking about perfect practice can make all the difference. Take your time, relax and breathe. Imagine your beautiful music before you actually play or sing it.
Ella has really enjoyed the camp! Thank you- M. G.
Grace is having a great time and came home last night wanting to play more guitar!- J. S.
You have always been a constant in my life for the past 11 years. I am so grateful for all you have taught me, not only musically but in life as well. Taking lessons with you has helped me break out of my shell and become more confident in myself.- R. M.
[Joceyn Kasper] was such a great teacher and always so wonderfully positive! Never judged. I still remember things she taught me all those decades ago..these years I’ve found my voice again. Singing makes a person healthy and happy!- J. R.
You are such a resource and inspiration to my being.- H. S.
I got a book a while back: "A Classical Approach to Jazz Piano." I looked closely at it in the store, to be sure that I could deal with it, and thanks to my brief tenure with Jocelyn Kasper, I saw that I could.- B. T.
I loved my lessons with Ms. Kasper. She always made me feel like a good piano player, even though I wasn't!- A. J.
Thank you so much for teaching Jackson. He loved you as a teacher and he learned so much. He loves the instrument as a result and you were great with the kids! Thanks again,- L. S.
Many thanks for your great teaching ability!! Carter very much enjoyed your class!- A. C.
Glad to see that Graham enjoys this and is actually learning something (thanks to you!). I'll need to be better about helping him stick to a practice schedule. Thanks again,- R. I.
Thanks for a great year. Kiran really enjoyed it and… is keen to buy an electric guitar.- M. T.
Thank you so much for working with Mack this year. He has improved so much and he loves guitar! You do a great job with him. He needs direction and consistent discipline and he repsonds VERY WELL to you! It is amazing to see his interest and focus as you…- B.F.H.
Thank you for a wonderful year!- K. H.
Thank you so much for teaching my son… the guitar. Will loved taking lessons and I enjoyed watching his growing appreciation for music. I enjoyed the recital and appreciate all the hard work you have done. Thank you so much for all you added to our lives.- J. H. H.
Landon loved his first lesson. I was amazed how much he learned in a 30 minute lesson. :)- M. C.
You are the best teacher ever and if I am doing well it is due to YOU!- S. M. R.
Ethan would love to continue guitar lessons with you in the Fall. Thank you for all that you've done. I am amaized at the results, considering how little Ethan practiced at home! Thanks again,- M. T.
Thanks so much for teaching Henry this past semester. He really enjoyed it.- J. Mc.
Thanks for a great lesson today… just when you think you have a piece down pat, there are so many more ways to improve it and make it ever more musical!- D. N.
Thanks for your very clear explanations and instructions and your encouragement and great enthusiasm for life and MUSIC!- H. S.
Thanks for teaching Will. He loves your class.- C. M.
After one short lesson, MacGregor jumped into the car and played the theme from Mission Impossible ALL THE WAY HOME! Thank you for opening the world of music to him - by teaching him the guitar!- J. M.
I am a former voice student of Jocelyn Kasper. I can say without a doubt she helped me to become a more confident singer. I wholehearted recommend her to anyone.- T. W.
I sang some this morning for the first time since my last lesson and it was so relaxing, it is amazing what singing and music in general can do for one's psychology!- D. N.
Jolie really loved music class and absolutely loves to sing.- C. S. G.
I have enjoyed seeing olivia progress over the year. she's more confident, she sings from her diaphragm, proudly projecting! it's great to see her enthusiasm. i'm grateful for your instruction and guidance.- A. N.
Your relationship with Fiona is very special. She admires you very much.- N. M.
Thank you so much for all your support and understanding yesterday, it helped very much to just be able to talk to you about it.- D. N.
I've learned so much from you, not only about singing and music, but about life! Thank you from the bottom of my heart!- H. H.
Thank you for teaching me how to sing better! I've had so much fun during voice lessons.- J. M.
Cannot express my gratitude at having you in my life!!- G. F.
I enjoyed our summer lessons with Schubert. You opened up a treasure trove for me I never even knew existed.- D. N.
Jocelyn, you've taught me so much. You're a great teacher and I'm going to miss you.- M. W.
I asked him yesterday if he wanted to keep taking guitar and he said "yes mam' as long as I can I want to!!" That is very encouraging!- B. F. H.
Thank you for never giving up on me! You are the best :-)- A. S.
... a wonderful voice lesson ... I feel I am learning so much ... about what singing really means!- D. N.
Thank you for your encouragement. I feel like I have a voice after your excellent, precise, professional instruction. You are a master ...- S. M. R.